Tuesday, October 4, 2011

He paid my bill

I was at work last night.
It was a particularly long Monday night shift and I was begging in my heart for my Savior to show up in some way. Skeptical that my prayer would be answered, I continued serving food to the many hungry people that came across my path. All along, my heart aching for the gospel. Not in the way that "I needed to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus again", but more in a "desire to have my heart melted by the gospel that saved me from an eternity in hell" kind of way.

It was bothering me that I was able to go day to day without being overwhelmed by the redemption given to me.

It was coming to the close of my evening when I was sat with one last table. A beautiful lady and her teenage daughter. They were very friendly and easy to talk to. I took care of their order and when I brought their salads, the women said this to me...

"Nicole, do you see that couple behind you?"
 (a young couple, most likely right out of high school, with a baby)
"I want to pay for their meal without them knowing, can you help me do that?"

I was shocked and excited all at once. I told her we would make it happen and we did. She took care of their quite expensive dinner bill and also gave a generous tip to their waitress. She told me she didn't want them to know who paid the bill and she and her daughter continued on their road trip home.
I had the privilege to go with the couple's waitress to tell them the news.

I will never forget the look on their faces. The shear gratitude that beamed from their smiles was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

And... that. was. just. dinner.

I think about my Savior and the way He died for me. I remember the fact that he took all my sin, guilt, emotional pain, fears, and shame upon himself so I didn't have to pay the consequences.

Christ paid my bill. What an overwhelming thought.

The gratitude that that couple felt over a paid dinner bill should pale in comparison to the gratitude we as believers feel when we daily remember the cost of our sins and the fact the He paid the bill.



His will be done!

Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment